It should go without saying that the web changed the world.
We can surf the web for pleasure or business 24/7. We can get anything we desire with the click of a button. We can build relationships with the person next door or with someone 5,000 miles away without ever leaving our home. We can research our ailments on WebMD, play video games with friends in another state, or watch current events unfold as they happen. The possibilities are endless!
I think it’s pretty cool what we can do these days via the web. What amazes me more is that we are no longer tied to a bulky desktop computer or even a sleek laptop to do such incredible tasks online. We can do it all from our mobile device. Think about it. The center of our universe and the universe of others fits nicely into the palms of our hands. This realization still blows me away.
Mobile technology isn’t our future. IT. IS. NOW.
Here are some incredible statistics from Pew Internet Research on Mobile Technology:
- 58% of American adults own a smartphone
- 67% of cell owners find themselves checking their phone for messages, alerts, or calls — even when they don’t notice their phone ringing or vibrating.
- 44% of cell owners have slept with their phone next to their bed because they wanted to make sure they didn’t miss any calls, text messages, or other updates during the night.
- 29% of cell owners describe their cell phone as “something they can’t imagine living without.”
- As of May 2013, 63% of adult cell owners use their phones to go online.
- 34% of cell internet users go online mostly using their phones, and not using some other device such as a desktop or laptop computer.
These statistics were for American’s only. The mobile phone usage can be significantly higher for other countries with broadband wireless access. All these statistics clearly show us two things: we are addicted to our mobile devices and businesses need to take mobile technology seriously.
Is Your Website Mobile Friendly?
If using smart phones has become such an integral part of our lives, doesn’t it make sense to make your website work seamlessly with mobile technology? If your customers are shopping online via their phone, it should be an easy and painless experience. If potential clients are searching for your services while waiting in the doctor’s office, then make it simple for them to do so. Whatever you can do to improve your online brand experience now will be essential to the success of your company in the future.
Here is an interesting infographic that will paint the picture of why having a mobile friendly website is important.