Moving your website is easy, but sometimes there can be unwanted downtime in the move. These steps should provide you with a guide for how to move your site without experiencing any downtime.
- Sign up for the hosting package you would like, you should receive a confirmation email and then later a setup email with your account details.
- Once you have the setup email, FTP to your site on ClickHOST with the provided login information and use the IP as the server: Upload all of your site files to the /web directory.
- Log into your site’s cpanel through the temporary link provided in the setup email: add any users or email aliases that you are currently using with your old web host: this will prevent any mail being lost.
- Log onto your Domain Registrar’s site (this is the site where you registered your domain name initially) and change your DNS Nameservers to ours:
Once the nameservers have changed it will take up to 72 hours for them to go through: once that is complete you can cancel your account with your previous hosting company.
- When uploading your new index page, try making it a bit different from the index page on your previous host: this will make it easier to see when your domain is properly pointing to our servers.
- Usernames have to be unique, but aliases do not: when setting up new users try for a unique name related to your site and then you can add any alias you would like for those users.
If you get stuck when taking any of the listed steps: Ask Us! Just click on the Help menu for several options for help.