Have you ever wondered how people seem to know their web host is the best even though they aren’t experts in the subject?
Their web designer told them.
But how do designers think about web hosting? What criteria do they look at when evaluating a service to host their client work on? You can bet your web designer has done some serious behind-the-scenes research on their customers’ before settling on a service they trust for their clients. Let’s look at some of these factors and then hear directly from designers who host with ClickHOST.
I.T. Phone Home
The web designer’s greatest moment comes when they put the finishing touches on a beautiful web solution that enhances their client’s business. Most of the right-brained people I know would rather be creating cool stuff rather than hunting down and fixing technical problems. It’s difficult to imagine creative personalities getting excited about when the new T1 cable arrives. If your web designer recommends a host to you, be assured that he doesn’t get a lot of the dreaded “my site is down” calls. Technical support is not just a bonus but a necessity for web designers.
Is It My Server or just Me?
Bad uptime kind of defeats the purpose of hosting doesn’t it? Who would want a free hosting deal that gives you only 50% uptime? How about 90%? Expect slow, resource-challenged servers crowded with sites you wouldn’t let your kids visit to be a red flag for designers. In reality, nearly 100% uptime has become the industry standard. There is really no excuse for even shared servers to experience extended poor performance.
The GM Effect
Remember Packard? There used to be a lot of car companies competing for American consumers. What are they called now? General Motors. Hosting industry consolidation has been nuts over the last few years. One group, EIG now owns over 50 leading hosting brands including HostGator and Bluehost. Even Godaddy underwent a buyout not long ago. Name most any popular hosting brand and let’s see what group owns them.
Most anyone will tell you that time is important. Ask a web designer what they do in their spare time and you will get a strange look from them that says “what spare time!” True designers create websites in their sleep. They also value being able to get the work they’ve created for clients up and running fast. Once it’s up, having tools like cPanel at their fingertips for ease of use is a huge administrative time-saver.
What Designers Are Saying about ClickHOST
Since there is a growing group of designers hosting with ClickHOST, we thought we’d try and get inside their heads and find out what they care about when working with a host. We asked them for the top reasons they like their host. Take it away, designers…
Lisa Smith of Creative Web Solutions
“I met Rhonda Pugh with ClickHOST at Atlanta WordCamp. They were giving out cheeky shirts (Friends don’t let friends host with Godaddy.com). I had been shopping around for a domain registration alternative (coincidentally not Godaddy). Since we have dedicated servers for hosting, we just use ClickHOST for registration/renewal. We’ve already moved 65 domain registrations into ClickHOST, with plans to move the remaining 282 as they come up for renewal over the next two years.”
Top things I like about ClickHOST for Domain Registration:
- Pricing, service and support are fantastic
- The online tools and admin are really easy to use. It’s easy to find orders and manage domains, easy to renew and make updates.
- ClickHOST is in Atlanta (go USA) and they’re big WordPress fans (just like us)
I would recommend ClickHOST without any hesitation.
Jason Cyr of Jason Cyr Design
- Up-time. Simply put, my clients that are hosted with ClickHOST enjoy a 99.9% uptime versus GoDaddy (and other larger hosting companies) which those clients have anywhere from a 49.9% to 90% uptime.
- You’re not sharing a server with TONS of other sites. Shared hosting is just that, you share a server (and its resources) with other website owners. My busiest and largest client with ClickHOST shares a server with many other domains and is faster than over 90% of other websites (according to Pingdom.com). Compare that with a client on GoDaddy who is sharing it with 999 other domains. It’s also no coincidence that that site has a 49.92% uptime compared to my client on ClickHOST who has a 99.82% uptime.
- Customer service is amazing. Even us designers need help from time to time and when I do, ClickHost consistently has the best customer service of any other host I use.
Nancy Hastings-Trew of Hypertext Digital Publishing
- Setting up client hosting accounts is fast and simple, and the price is right too.
- cPanel makes it easy to set up and manage my clients’ websites, email and databases.
- Live Chat makes it easy to put in a request for support and response times are very fast. Problems are generally resolved quickly.
“These features and more make ClickHOST an easy sell to my clients, both when setting up a new website or suggesting a move from a host they might be unhappy with. Although I do work with other web hosting services, ClickHOST is my first choice for setting up new sites. And since ClickHOST offers up-to-date and stable PHP and MySQL versions, they’re a natural choice for me as a developer as this is the platform I work on.”
You can be assured that no web designer picks a hosting company without any thought. ClickHOST strives to be a service that both customers and designers trust. Your turn… What are some other things web desigers care about getting from their host?